Thursday, March 13, 2008

Overview

My topic is about Walmart and it's effects on the American people and on the economy. There is a long-standing controversy surrounding Walmart and it's policies. Many people argue that Walmart has a negative impact on society; they argue that it harms the economy, employees, and by default, the customers. I became interested in the Walmart question quite a few years ago; I had never been to a Walmart (and still haven't) and I asked my mom why we did not shop there. She gave me a long explanation and then simplified it for me, basically they don't treat their workers well and the products they sell are cheap because they paid the laborers little to no money. All I really understood at the time was that Walmart was bad. One of my close friends on the other hand was a walking Walmart ad. She loved everything because it was cheap and "super cute." It was around seventh or eighth grade that I began to learn about the ethics and facts behind this controversy.

Recently, I also went to see the Off-Broadway musical Walmartopia. This was a parody on Walmart's attempt to "overthrow society." Walmart, just as all other corporations, essentially exists to make money. The problem that most people have with Walmart has to do with their tactics for providing cheap goods for people. Walmart outsources their goods and "cuts corners" to ensure their customers can "save money." Are they really living better though? Walmart pays their employees at minimum wage and has a reputation for treating their employees poorly. Many employees cannot even afford to buy things things from Walmart being they are living from pay check to pay check. Some towns (especially in Vermont) have been in the news for protesting the arrival of Walmart in their communities. During my research paper I plan to discover the effects of Walmart on society, both the economy and the people.

2 comments:

Steve said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Steve said...

Hey Claire! Digged your post. Or is it dug? Well, I thought it was very well-written and presented both sides in interesting ways. I've never shopped at a Wal-Mart either, but I think that's because they usually put them in "lower income" areas and so I haven't had a chance. I agree that big corporations like that should at least treat their employees well, and I think you've got a good topic there. Peace, Stephen C