Sunday, March 16, 2008

The Pros and Cons of Wal-Mart

Wal-Mart proponents argue that Wal-Mart's policies and behavior help the economy and the general public. Wal-Mart supports the raising of the minimum wage, despite the fact it wouldn't effect many of the workers who (supposedly) are paid double minimum wage. However, Wal-Mart has faced many law suits and accusations of unpaid work or for deleting time off work cards. So are the employees really getting paid minimum wage? Opponents of Wal-Mart also say that the company forces employees to work overtime, quite often without pay.

In response to complaints about heath care opportunities, Wal-Mart has taken action to increase health care options. Who benefits from said changes is another topic for debate. Wal-Mart supporters view the changes in favor of the employees while protesters see this change as detrimental for them. The health care is a big issue because for employees that Wal-Mart's health care options are not suitable, they have to choose from going uninsured or getting support from Medicaid. Opponents believe the new Wal-Mart health plan actually discourages people from applying; proponents, encourages.

Still, people keep shopping at Wal-Mart, people still apply for jobs there. Wal-Mart supporters argue that these negative things are more myth than fact. Regardless, it is undeniable that people continue to feed the growing corporation.

1 comment:

Kaitlyn C said...

Hm... I commented on this yesterday, but it doesn't seem to have showed up. So I'm sorry if I've wound up sending this a million times without realizing it.
Anyway, back to your topic. I think the idea's interesting, and though I honestly don't know much about it, but I have heard things about the shady behind-the-scenes doings of Walmart, so I'm interested to see what you find. I remember reading a bit about it in a magazine (Upfront, maybe) that Mr. T gave us, though I don't think I still have it. I'm not sure that it'd be much help to you anyway, but if I manage to come across it anytime soon, I'll give it over.
You mentioned that you've never been to Walmart yourself, so I was wonder if you were going to go visit. Maybe you could interview workers for first-hand info, or at least you can find out the general mood of the workers.
I don't really have anything much of use to say, other then I think you're off to a great start!