Thursday, March 27, 2008

what the experts say...

1. The Democratic Staff of the House Committee on Education and the Work force has been quoted stating they believe that "Wal-Mart, in its efforts to achieve and maintain low prices, has come to represent the lowest common denominator in the treatment of working people."
2. Jon Hunter, a hardware store owner who was put out of business by a Wal-Mart says, "any time a Wal-Mart is coming into a town, they knock the values down because sooner or later there's going to be a bunch of empty buliding and none of them are going to be able to sell."
3. "Outsourcing may be good for the economy, but it hurts many Americans...they need their jobs to feed their families, pay the rent, and take care of bills."
4. "Any increase [Wal-Mart generates] in employement, sales, and property tax receipts is offset by job losses at competitors and other business closings."
5."Critics have called [Wal-Mart's health plan] a plan that only makes sense for healthy people."
6. Walmart "deliberate[ly] understaffs...[has an] obsession about time theft, [encourages] its management spies and arbitrary punishments."
7. "Wal-Mart is a corporation that seeks to maintain profits by keeping its employees on the edge of poverty."

(My articles are in my locker so I can't say who wrote them all.. but I'll put those up asap).

1 comment:

Steve said...

Good facts, a lot more than I have probably. I like that all the information you found can be easily worked in to support your main argument. For my topic, there were a lot of facts that seemed to go against my position, so finding ones that worked was a little trickier. But since that's the hardest part, I'd say you're well on your way to a great essay!