Monday, March 31, 2008

the rant

It seems absurd to me that a company can blatantly disregard so many legal and ethical "rules" and not experience significant repercussions. Wal-Mart treats their employees like dirt; they spy on them, they pay them miserable wages (delete time off their work cards so they don't have to pay them), and have been charged with so many accounts of abuse I could write a dissertation on them all.. not to mention the impact this super-store has on the general public. Wal-Mart's meager health care plan forces employees to either go uninsured or to depend on the government. The government (essentially the taxpayers) spend thousands of dollars each year on Wal-Mart employees alone. Those programs are for people who need help, not to help Wal-Mart out because they don't want to spend their money on their sick employees.

I'm disheartened with the fact that fewer people do not inform themselves about where they shop. I don't expect everyone to sit down and research every place they shop, but I think it's important that we stay informed about things that influence our lives. Wal-Mart has a strong impact on the economy, on the labor market, and on the goods people are bringing into their homes. We need to start paying attention so that we are able to have the bright tomorrow we deserve.

1 comment:

Steve said...

I enjoyed reading this post because it made me as well think about how Wal-Mart can legally treat people this way. I like the way you go from using very official terms in your facts to using more emotional words that people can relate to like "treating them like dirt" and spying on them. There's probably a literary term for that. Regardless, I hope that whoever reads your essay takes it to heart and thinks twice about supporting a corporation that you've convinced me is just terrible. Although I've never been to one, I know that I definitely won't be buying from one anytime soon, and I am confident that your essay will soar like the eagle.